The European Union agencies: European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) based in Lisbon, the European Agency for the Management of Operational Co-operation at the External Borders of the Member States of the European Union (Frontex) based in Warsaw and the Community Fisheries Control Agency (CFCA), based in Vigo, have concluded an agreement with a view to cooperate, in accordance with their respective mandates, in the field of maritime surveillance that will be mutually beneficial for the three agencies.
The Cooperation Agreement will allow for the exchange of information and of expertise as well as of for the exploration of joint use of assets as relevant, optimising the functioning of the European Union as a whole regarding Maritime Surveillance. The cooperation will result in an improvement of the control of external maritime borders of the EU (competence of Frontex), an increase in the maritime safety (competence of EMSA) and an enhancement of the coordination of fisheries control and inspection activities by the Member States (competence of CFCA).
The main activities comprised in the agreement are the following:
• Exchange of information and data on matters of common interest
• Explore synergies in the use of the maritime surveillance and information systems
• Explore the possibilities of joint use of assets
• Investigate potential cooperation in the field of maritime surveillance directed to the protection of external maritime borders and fisheries control
• Expand mutual collaboration between the Agencies in areas such as coordination of inspections, research and development, training, etc.